Key Responsibilities of an SEO Consultant
An SEO consultant’s main function is to enhance a website’s visibility and ranking on search engine results pages (SERPs). Let’s delve deeper into their key responsibilities.
Conducting Keyword Research
One of the essential tasks of an SEO consultant is performing comprehensive keyword research. This involves determining which phrases and terms prospective customers are likely to use when searching for products or services similar to what your business offers. This critical step guides the creation of SEO-optimised content that resonates with your target audience and improves your website’s SERP ranking.
• They use a variety of tools, like SEMrush or Ahrefs, to identify high-volume, low-competition keywords.
• This research extends beyond single-word terms to include long-tail keywords and semantic phrases that better match today’s conversational search patterns.
Performing Website Audits
An SEO consultant is responsible for auditing your website to identify its strengths and weaknesses in terms of SEO performance.
• They evaluate technical aspects such as page load speed, mobile-friendliness, and site architecture, among others, which can impact your search engine ranking.
• They assess the quality of content, ensuring it’s engaging, relevant, and optimised for the right keywords.
• The audit also includes checking the website’s backlink profile, evaluating the quality and relevance of inbound links.
Implementing Link Building Strategies
Link building is a crucial SEO strategy that involves acquiring high-quality inbound links from authoritative websites.
• An SEO consultant devises and executes strategies to earn these backlinks, such as guest posting, broken link replacement, or influencer outreach.
• These inbound links help enhance your website’s domain authority, making it more credible in the eyes of search engines.
Overseeing On-Page and Off-Page SEO
The consultant is responsible for optimising both on-page and off-page elements.
• On-page SEO refers to all the elements on a website that can be optimised for better visibility and ranking. This includes meta tags, URLs, and content.
• Off-page SEO involves activities outside of your website, such as creating high-quality backlinks, social bookmarking, and promoting your content on social media platforms.
SEO Consultancy: By the Numbers
The value of an SEO consultant is demonstrated by the results they can achieve for businesses.
• According to a HubSpot survey, 64% of marketers invest time in SEO, indicating the importance of this aspect of digital marketing.
• A study by Ahrefs revealed that only 0.78% of Google searchers click on results from the second page, reinforcing the need for high SERP rankings to attract organic traffic. An SEO consultant’s work is critical in achieving such visibility and success.