This page outlines the approach, pricing and a list of items covered within a standard Technical SEO Audit.
If you’re looking for SEO consultancy (in London or anywhere in the world),
Below is a standard technical SEO checklist used by most SEOs that I also add a few special aspects that I don’t mention here:
Canonical URLs (Best Page Addresses)
- Access to pages on domain (www vs. non-www)
- Home Page linking consistency
- Capitalization/Lower Case (capitals in domain name ok, in folders and files a potential problem)
- Canonical Link Elements
- Rel Prev/Next link elements for paginated pages?
- Internal Redirects (internal 301 redirects avoided)
- Correctly formatted
- Includes all it should (including cart pages, email referral pages, login pages)
- Includes link to XML sitemap or XML Sitemap Index
Meta robots noindex/nofollow
Category/Site Structure (URLS and Information Architecture)
- Unique and User Friendly
- Use of appropriate category and sub-category link structure
Choosing File Names
- Uses hyphens as word separators
- voids keyword stuffing
- If file names to be changed, links on site changed, and 301s set up for external visitors
Custom Error Page
- Sends proper 404 code status
- No soft 404s
- Helpful to visitor (navigation, directories, search)
- Organized into user friendly and user oriented categories
- Provides links to most important pages
- Avoids using too many links
- Doesn’t include 404s or links that redirect internally
- Properly formatted (XML proper encoding)
- Uses only canonicals
- No 404s and no internally redirected pages
- Submitted to GWT and Bing Tools
Server Status: Messages 200, 300, 400, 500
Secure Server | HTTPS Protocol
- No error messages
- No https bleed-over to pages that aren’t supposed to be https
- No certificate authority errors
Search Friendly Links
- All links to be indexed reachable by text-based links or “href” and “src”.
Broken and Redirected Links
- Broken links identify, links removed or replaced
- All 301 redirected links replaced with direct links
- Checked for broken links and redirects and replaced where appropriate
- Pages linked to checked for repurposed content
- Internally (see canonical section above)
- Mirrors identified and disallowed/noindexed as appropriate
- If Ajax is necessary, is Google’s hashbang approach used?
- Avoid session IDs in URLs
- Avoid excessive multiple data parameters in URLs
- Avoid excessive processor calls
- Avoid calls to multiple servers as much as possible
- Avoid keyword insertion pages (pages were the content is substantially the same except for keywords that are inserted into the pages).
Page Load Times
- Images compressed for right dimensions and for file sizes?
- GZIP or Deflate used?
- Other Page Speed considerations
Technical SEO Audit takes between 30 and 40 hours, depending on the depth of certain issues.
The audit comes with 5 hours of consultancy time for communicating the issues and reaching the most appropriate solution.